The 1924 Morgan Hill Community Playhouse moved, enlarged and transformed an eighty-year old church into a community playhouse. Mr. True was Project Architect for ELS after the initial design phase, and completed the design and guided the playhouse through completion. Original exterior ornamental craftsman style details and dramatic arch top windows were retained, and reinforced by new architectural details that related to the old. The original spatial quality of the historic entry foyer and lobby were restored by removing a later second floor addition.
Adaptive Reuse is sustainable. Instead of tearing down and starting over, the new is discovered within the existing. This storefront became an entry link to an interior circulation zone that connected art, music, dance and performing arts spaces,